In celebration of LDI’s 30th anniversary—1988-2018—Live Design gives a shout out to 30 Under 30: thirty young movers and shakers who are changing paradigms, looking at things from new angles, and rapidly rising to the forefront of their field. From scenic, lighting, projection, and costume designers to technicians and programmers, as well as those who work for manufacturers, production companies, or rental shops, our 30 Under 30 are the harbingers of tomorrow.
Artist and designer, Ethan Hartman earned his B.F.A. in Scenic Design from the University of Oklahoma before receiving his Masters in Applied Design from the California Institute of the Arts. He has since worked in set design for theatre, film, and television, working for notable networks including Fox, Warner Bros., HBO, and Dreamworks. Currently working on back-lot designs for Blue Cloud Movie Ranch, Hartman is next on Live Design's 30 Under 30 list.
Name: Ethan Hartman
City, State of residence: Santa Clarita, California
Position/Title: Art Assistant/Asst. Art Director/Set Designer
Current project: Back-lot designs for Blue Cloud Movie Ranch
Most notable achievements: Working on multiple award-winning TV shows and working with actors, directors, and designers that I grew up watching in movies and on TV.
When I started in this industry: February 2015
Influences: Ray Harryhaussen, Guillermo Del Toro, Stuart Craig, Rick Carter, and Nelson Lowry, just to name a few.
Worst advice I’ve ever heard: "It’s not your department, so you don’t need to think about it."
Best advice I’ve ever heard: "Always have a good attitude, always be flexible, and always be confident in what you do."
My favorite thing about the production industry: The best thing about the film industry is that we get to create new worlds and realities in the most complete way.
Favorite trick: Pepper’s Ghost
Plans for the future: My plan is to get into the Art Directors Union in Los Angeles and continue toward my goal of production design.
Other interests/side gigs: Clay sculpting and model building
Awards: KCACTF Set Design Award, USITT Set Design Award
Check out Live Design/LDI's other 30 Under 30:
- Aron Altmark, Lighting Designer
- Olivia Sebesky, Projection Designer
- Matthew Palumbo, Technical Coordinator
- Bobby L. Grey, Lighting Designer
- Joe McCarthy, Production Manager/FOH Engineer
- Lauren T. Roark, Costume Designer
- Joe C. Klug, Scenic Designer
- Rachel Rozzi, Audio Technician
- Adam Honoré, Lighting Designer
- Brandon Blackwell, Production Manager/FOH
- Zak Haywood, Video Programmer
- Emily Clarkson, Lighting Designer
- Matthew McQuaid, Audio Engineer
- Gabriel Fraboni, Creative Director/Show Director
- Luis M. Garcia, Lighting & Video Designer
- Hailey Featherstone, Lighting Tech/FOH Tech