It’s Memorial Day weekend, so if you need something to do in lieu of going to a parade or grilling hot dogs at a BBQ (if your state is sill locked down…) or if you simply prefer hibernating with your laptop or tablet, there are quite a few interesting things to do online to celebrate the holiday. Check out our listings for the next few days, Friday, May 22 through Sunday May 24.
Training & Special Events:
Friday, May 22:
• National Design Portfolio Review—Virtual Event: The National Design Portfolio Review is an annual event, usually held in New York City to introduce talented theatrical designers graduating from the country's top MFA programs, including the University of Washington, to industry professionals. This year, the graduating MFA designers Chanté Hamann (costume design), Adair MacCormack (scenic design), Chun Yen Huang (lighting design), Trevor Cushman (lighting design), and Em Allen (scenic design) will be part of a virtual event that runs online thru May 29. If you are an industry professional and you would like to request an invitation to NDPR, please contact event coordinator Katie Danner at 816-813-3476 or [email protected]. More information here.
• 12pm Eastern: Troikatronix Isadora Guru Session #15—Beyond Cueing: Using Scenes In Isadora: It's going to be scenes, scenes and more scenes! Transitioning, managing cue numbers, jumping under external control, activating more than one scene at a time and sending messages between scenes are just some of what you'll learn from the master himself Mark Coniglio. Plus complex topics like how to have more than one scene active at a time, how to use the Broadcaster and Listener actors to communicate between multiple active scenes, and Isadora 3's new "Blind Mode" which allows you to edit a scene even when it is not active. Watch Here.
• 3pm Eastern: Martin Live Workshop Series—Creating a Production and Lighting Design to Take Advantage of Show Limitations and Challenges: Tess Falcone, lighting and production designer will cover a range of technical and practical challenges that lighting designers encounter, as well as techniques for overcoming them and using them to create a live show that is creative and unique. Register Here.
• 5pm Eastern: Costuming: Sustainability and Transformation: A live-stream conversation and DIY workshop with Jody Sperling of Time Lapse Dance and costume designer Lauren Gaston about sustainable costume design. They discuss their current collaborative process for a new work, "Plastic Harvest," which uses single-use plastics as featured material. The conversation will cover issues of sustainability and how costuming can help performers experience an empathic relationship with the environment. The session will conclude with a short DIY at home sustainable design project. Watch Here.
Sunday, May 24, 7pm Eastern: 4Wall Sunday Roundtable hosted by Drew Quinones of 4Wall and lighting designer Jeff Croiter, featuring some of the top design educators in the country. Current, future, and recently graduated students of theatrical design and production will not want to miss it. Guests: Jane Cox (Princeton University), Anne Militello (CalArts), Mark Stanley (Boston University), and Clifton Taylor (University of North Carolina School of the Arts). Watch Here.
• 4pm Eastern May 22 (thru May 24): Sirius FM Virtual DisDance Festival: lineup includes Alesso, Alison Wonderland, Martin Garrix, Kygo, Deadmau5, Kaskade, Calvin Harris' Love Regenerator project, Major Lazer, Marshmello, Armin van Buuren, Steve Aoki, Above & Beyond, Avicii, and more. Benefitting MusiCares' COVID-19 Relief Fund to support music industry workers in need. Listen Here.
• May 22-24: Lightning In A Bottle Festival: Festival producer Do LaB has revealed the lineup for the first-ever DGTL Lightning In A Bottle live stream music festival, taking place May 22-24 featuring performances from Glitch Mob, Kaytranada, TOKiMONSTA, Shia San, CloZee, Beats Antique and others, while utilizing the Unreal 3D video game graphics engine to recreate its otherworldly stage environments. Sign up or logon here.
• May 23 & 24: One Earth Live Festival: Support Covid-19 relief efforts with a line-up of amazing artists through the One Earth Festival, a multi-stream, 10-stage event. Watch Here.
Listen Or Watch Anytime:
• EDC 2020 Las Vegas Virtual Rave-A-Thon: Insomniac has posted videos from this year’s virtual event. Watch Here.
• Martin Learning Sessions: Designing for Theater, Television and Film: Lighting designer, Mike Baldassari—who has been nominated for Tony and Emmy Awards—describes his approach to designing for theater, television and film, including some examples of his “cross-pollination” work in an increasingly interconnected entertainment landscape. Watch Here.
• ETC On Headset—The Billington Files: Practice your programming skills in real time as you listen to award-winning Lighting Designer Ken Billington direct his lighting team for the production of New York City Center Encores’ Me and My Girl. Listen Here.
• Elation Key Light: Meet Victor Fable: Award-winning lighting designer Victor Fable talks about his past and present in the TV/broadcast lighting arena. Hosted by Eric Loader, director of sales and marketing, and Matthias Hinrichs, global product manager. Watch Here.
• Resolume Classroom #1— Color: From basic concepts, from channels, alpha, and palettes all the way to applying color theory, color harmony, and color effects. Watch Here.
• The Art of the Streaming Mix for Houses of Worship (archived webcast): Now more than ever, Houses of Worship are leaning on internet streaming to reach their congregations. As they do, they are likely finding this piece of the production puzzle was neglected. Audinate’s "The Art of the Streaming Mix for Houses of Worship" aired on April 22, 2020, and focused on discussion with industry experts about making the streaming mix more engaging even with modest budgets and limited staffing. Watch Here.
Cool Stuff To Check Out:
• ETC Augment3d Light Lab: Introducing a new lighting design tool from ETC. Augment3d Light Lab lets you play with light as if you were designing on a real stage. Set your lighting positions, intensity, colors, and even breakup patterns! Light Lab is a custom show file that uses the Augment3d software platform but is intuitive enough for any new user to pick up and play with, without prior knowledge of Eos or Augment3d. Check it out here.
For Your Viewing Pleasure:
• May 22, 8pm Eastern: New York City Ballet Digital Spring Season: Two pieces by Christopher Wheeldon: Liturgy, filmed on April 25, 2017 and Carousel (A Dance), filmed on September 29, 2018. Lighting by Mark Stanley, costumes by Holly Hynes. Watch Here.
• May 22: 6:45pm Eastern: Marry Harry: The Dog Lives Productions and Streaming Musicals and FoodTank present a free virtual opening night for the original romantic musical comedy, Marry Harry, hosted by Tony Award nominee and Marry Harry cast member Veanne Cox, and two-time Tony Award nominee Laura Osnes. Encore presentations on May 22 at 10pm Eastern and 2pm Saturday, May 23, 2020. Subscribe Here.