I am proud to work with people who stand against racial injustice and support diversity as we come to the end of a tumultuous week. We have just closed the submissions for our second annual Pat MacKay Diversity in Design Scholarships and look forward to selecting this year's awardees. In the meantime, places such as Las Vegas have opened, which means more people will be out and about, but the internet is still an awesome source of training and entertainment. Here are our suggestions for the weekend of June 5-6-7.
• June 5 @ 9:30am Central: Chicago Flyhouse: Truss Use and Inspection: Truss plays a vital role in nearly every segment of the entertainment industry, but is widely misused and misunderstood. This class is designed to give users a basic understanding of how truss works and how to work with it in a safe manner. ETCP renewal credits available. Instructor: Ed Leahy. Register Here.
• June 5 @ 2pm Central: Soundcraft VI1000 Advanced Training: Gabriel Le Roux, a professional monitor and recording engineer based in Johannesburg, South Africa, covers advanced features of Soundcraft Vi consoles that improve workflow, speed and the overall mixing experience. Previous VI experience is recommended, and attendees will need a thorough understanding of digital workflows. Register Here.
• June 5 @ 11am Eastern: AVIXA Live Events Exchange Week 8: An ongoing virtual exchange, held every Friday, for business owners and everyone else effected by the COVID-19 pandemic and massive event cancellations. Connect with a network of like-minded and similarly challenged peers to share challenges, ideate solutions, share success stories and things that were misses, etc. Register Here.
• June 5 @ 12pm: Eastern Troikatronix Isadora: MIDI: The Musical Instrument Digital Interface, better known as MIDI. Isadora's creator Mark Coniglio will show you how Isadora can play music, respond to a MIDI instrument or controller, listen to other programs sending MIDI, and pretty much every little nook and cranny inside Isadora that deals with this easy-to-use communications protocol. Live Stream Link
• June 7 @ 7pm Eastern: 4Wall Sunday Roundtable: A panel with over 100 years of combined experience in the event, corporate, and live tv industries participate in another discussion: Ken Farley (Illumination Production Services Inc.), Paul Fine (Fine Design Associates, Inc.), Otis Howard (Otis Howard Lighting Design), Bill Kadra (Available Light). Watch Here.
Looking ahead, register in advance:
• June 8 & 9: RealTime Conference: Two-day virtual event full of learning, networking, and uniting global cross-industry real-time community. From Virtual Production to Immersive Storytelling, from Spatial Computing to Controller-less VR Era, from Games Cinematics to Digital Humans | Artificial Intelligence | Machine Learning & GANs, not to forget Real-Time Live Collaborative Demos. Register Here.
• June 10-11 ABTT Online Seminars: The 42nd ABTT Theatre Show was postponed so they are running seminars for two days when the show would have been held, allowing some much needed conversations to take place. Register Here.
• June 10 @ 5pm Pacific: Indigenous Matriarch 4 (IM4) Media Lab, in collaboration with VIFF Immersed and Emily Carr University, announces the launch of the IM4 Immersive Knowledge Transfer Series, a free, live webinar series featuring conversations among XR media creators, artists, and storytellers from Indigenous and culturally diverse communities. Series runs for eight weeks. June 10 kick off features IM4 creative director Loretta Todd with guest speakers Jason Edward Lewis, and Dallas Flett-Wapash. Register Here.
Something Cool To Do:
• Theatrical Previs Contest: Check it out and get your submissions in by June 8 for the Theatrical Previs Contest! Among the grand prizes is an ETCnomad/Gadget kit, and additional chances to win ETC swag. Details Here.
• 7:30pm: Metropolitan Opera Nightly Stream. June 5-Adès' The Extermination Angel: Hildegard Bechtler, set and costume designer, Jon Clark, lighting designer, Tal Yarden, projection designer; June 6-Verdi's Otello; June 7-Massanet's Thais. Watch Here.
Listen or Watch Anytime:
• Every Friday @ 12pm Eastern: Pink Floyd: Concert footage streams on the Pink Floyd YouTube channel. Watch Here.
• Technically Speaking, USITT Podcast: 2020 Zelma H. Weisfeld Costume Design & Technology Award winner Brooke Nicole Kesler, costume assistant at The San Diego Opera, and is looking forward to graduating with her MFA in Design and Technology with an emphasis in Costume Design from San Diego State University. Listen Here.
• EDC 2020 Las Vegas Virtual Rave-A-Thon: Insomniac has posted videos from this year’s virtual event. Watch Here.
• Scott Parker: A lot of training videos to choose from. Watch Here.