Xitelabs in collaboration with Lightswitch, Robe, and Evolve Media Group, has created a virtual performance environment running in real time with Infected Mushroom on an XR LED stage, to watch on Sunday, November 1, 2020 @ 8pm Eastern. A nice few days coming up, with a full moon for Halloween on October 31, talk about perfect timing. Also lots of training and webcasts to look forward to or catch up on so keep your eye on the ball and hit it out of the park.
Training & Webcasts:
• October 30 @ 3:30 Eastern: USITT Community Conversations: Lighting Design: Join lighting designers Jim Streeter, Christina Watanabe, Adam Honore, and Hideaki Tsutsui as they discuss their careers, process, and what inspires them. Register Here.
• November 1 @ 7pm Eastern: 4Wall Sunday Roundtable: Episode 22 stage managers from Broadway, Alvin Ailey, Goodspeed Opera House, & Cirque du Soleil! Please join us to hear what they are doing during the shutdown, gigs they are currently working on, as well as their thoughts on the state of the industry: Guests Cody Renard Richard, NY, Broadway; Kristin Colvin Young, Alvin Ailey; Brad Spachman, Goodspeed Opera House; Carolanne Morgan, Cirque du Soleil. Special Appearance by @Limelightwired. Watch Here.
Looking Forward, Register In Advance:
• November 2 @ 3:30pm Eastern: Chicago Flyhouse Free Rigging Training: Forces and Loads: This class is a review of some basic concepts from physics that affect rigging work. • Review Newton’s laws of motion and examine what they mean for rigging • Consider the types of forces that can be applied to a rig and what those situations look like • Learn how to visualize the forces in a system and then communicate that information to others • Calculate loads across a beam, such as a batten or a truss • Review mechanical advantage with pulleys.Instructor: Ed Leahy. ETCP renewal credits. Register Here.
• November 4 @ 11am Central: Harman Learning Sessions: Theater to Events: Making Lighting Design Education Work Across Disciplines w/ Wes Richter: Learn how to compress your pre-production into a few hours; what language to use to describe the elements of lighting; how the workflow of a day can be reinforced by the steps of a traditional lighting design; and much more. Register Here.
Live Design Master Classes:
• Live Design Virtual Master Classes: Design & Production In Virtual Environments: Intro to XR and Virtual Production; Advanced XR Production Techniques & Case Studies; The Role of XR in Compelling Storytelling. Sessions hosted by Vickie Claiborne, disguise Training Manager in Americas, and additional industry experts. Sponsored by disguise. Free. Available On Demand. Register Here.
For Your Viewing Enjoyment:
• November 1 @ 8pm Eastern: Infected Mushroom: Prepare for a special edition DJ Set + Extended Virtual Reality experience & meet us in the chat on Insomniac TV. Watch Here.
• Thru November 1: Shakespeare Trilogy, Marathon Weekend: Julius Caesar, Henry IV, and The Tempest. From London's Donmar Warehouse, directed by Phyllida Lloyd, Streaming via St. Anne's Warehouse. Watch Here.
• Through October 31: New York City Ballet: Digital Fall Season: New Works Festival at 8pm Eastern: Featuring five world premiere ballets filmed in various locations on the Lincoln Center campus and throughout New York City. Featured choreographers include Sidra Bell, Andrea Miller, Justin Peck, Jamar Roberts, and Pam Tanowitz. Watch Here.
• The Metropolitan Opera: Week #33 of nightly streams from the opera archives focus on Politics In Opera, concluding Sunday, November 1, with Philip Glass' Satyagraha, designed by Julian Crouch, with lighting by Paule Constable, associate LD Kevin Sleep, costumes by Kevin Pollard, and video design by Leo Warner and Mark Grimmer. Other operas include Boris Godunov on October 30, and The Ghosts of Versailles on October 31. Watch Here.
• Cirque du Soleil: Behind The Curtain of Mystère: This week on #CirqueConnect, enjoy watching our latest behind the curtain of Mystère by Cirque du Soleil. Be a witness to the backstage adventures and stories that make up the foundation of #CirqueduSoleil’s longest running #LasVegas resident show. Watch below:
• RedAlert LIVE The four-hour live stream of the #RedAlertRESTART event on Tuesday, September 1, 2020. Hosted by lighting designer Christian Jackson, with live feeds and video from across the country plus Trinidad & Tobago. Watch Here.
An Important Conversation:
• Live Design and USITT co-hosted "A Conversation On Diversity And Anti-Racism In Entertainment Design," moderated by David Stewart, production manager for Disney Parks Live Entertainment, and an important voice in the ongoing quest to increase diversity in our industry. The full panel for this important discussion includes lighting designers Rachael Blackwell, Porsche McGovern, and Xavier Pierce, lighting/projection designer Roma Flowers, lighting designer/event coordinator Ebony Madry, and production manager Lawrence Bennett. Watch Here.
Training & Webcasts When You Want:
• GLP 10 Out Of 10: This episode of 10 Out Of 10 features LD Bryan Hartley best known for his work with KISS, Anthrax, Megadeth, Velvet Revolver, and Trans Siberian Orchestra. Watch Here.
• Live Design Virtual Master Classes: Lighting: Three sessions focus on various angles of lighting: GDTF & MVR, a look at his innovative new technology and the bi-directional exchange of data developed by Vectorworks, Robe, and MA Lighting as an open standard for the entertainment industry. Plus a look at 2021 updates, with Matt Geasy of Clear All Visuals; LED Color Mixing, Color Temperature, and Light Quality, with Kevin Lawson and Greg Cohen of UVLD; Designing Immersive Lighting: The design and technical challenges of creating compelling immersive lighting for visual storytelling, using Pip’s Island, an interactive kid's experience, as the quintessential example. Speakers include: Al Crawford, Roya Abab, Zakaria Al-Alami, Manuel DaSilva, and Nicholas Palatella. Free; sponsored by ETC. Register Here to watch on demand.
• Bill Sapsis Rigging Classes: Fall Arrest Harnesses: What you don’t know could kill you. There’s a lot more going on than just sticking your arms and legs in and tightening the straps. This session will help you harness up safely. Watch Here.
• Notch Showcast: Algorithm Studio use Notch and the Noitom V2 motion capture suit to create an intimate music video in the peak of social distancing. Creative director Kev Freeney and Notch designer Dillon O’Sullivan welcomed the challenge of creating The Blizzards ‘Pound The Pavement’ music video during a national lockdown. Watch Here.
• Strand and Vari-Lite: A series of online training videos on various aspects of lighting systems. Watch Here.
• History In The Making: Steve Terry In Conversation With Dave Cunningham and Gordon Pearlman... A time machine talk about the advent of computer-controlled lighting consoles. Watch Here.
• Elation Professional Online Learning Center: Provides lighting professionals with easy-to-access learning options, the new resource site is full of free educational and training material. Watch Here.
• The Elation Hour: A series of interviews with leading designers from film/TV, theatre, concerts, corporate events, festivals, and more... Watch here.
• Lighting designer Mike Woods: Online training videos. Watch Here.
• Ross Video: Ross Live | 2020: A weekly series of presentations, podcasts, and product launches designed to highlight best practices across a range of live production environments. Watch Here.
• frame.work videos are now online, a conference for video professionals. Watch Here.
• 4Wall Entertainment: Archives for Sunday Roundtables and Thursday Tales From The Road. Watch Here.
• ETC Story Q&A with Tom Littrell: thoughts from Outreach and Training Specialist Tom Littrell on LEDs. Read Here.
• Unreal Interactive Demo. Watch Here.
• TDF Stages, list of streaming performances updated daily.
• Light Talk With The Lumen Brothers (and Sistah!): A conversation with BIPOC lighting designer Adam Honoré, an award-winner at age 26 and nominated for this year's Live Design Achievement Awards, now open for voting. Listen Here.
• Real Talk With Mason Brady: A talk with Brad Berridge is a sound artist at Feld Entertainment, which is the company that produces Disney ON ICE!, Marvel Experiences, and others. He has worked across the United States bringing his sound design and composition to tons of different theaters and auditoriums. Listen Here.
• USITT TECHnically Speaking: A COVID-19 Discussion With Kathy Perkins: The Summer 2020 edition of Theatre Design and Technology (TD&T) explores racism in the theatre in an important piece by Taylor Leigh Lamb. TECHnically Speaking talks with lighting designer Kathy Perkins, interviewed for the article, to discuss her 1995 TD&T article, how the conversation on racism in the industry has shifted, and if Black designers are finally getting the industry recognition they deserve. Listen Here.
Let's Go Shopping:
• Gillioz Theatre Poster Auction: Calling all poster collectors! In an effort to raise money to survive the pandemic, the historic Gillioz Theatre in Springfield, Missouri, for the first time is auctioning 99 event posters from its archives. Bid Here. Through October 31.