A dark comedy written by Susan Chenet and directed by managing artistic director Georgette Verdin: Interrobang Theatre Project's Dingleberries begins streaming June 24. The production team includes video editor Megan Love, costume designer LaVisa Angela Williams, and production manager Richie Vavrina. $15 tickets here. Live events are coming back but there is still a lot of theatre online to keep us entertained or intrigued.
Training & Webcasts:
• June 24 @ 1pm Eastern: frame:work: Moving Technologies In The Museum Of The Future: Have you wondered what a museum of the future may hold? What kind of technologies could be used in such a place? So have we! Join Geoffrey Platt from Ahead of the Curve and Sundar Raman, Director of Technology at Museum Of The Future in an engaging conversation about how technologies are being utilized to create some of the most spectacular exhibits the world has ever seen. Come and be part of this interactive conversation. We will be discussing: what things are like at the museum of the future; focused technologies; creating next level exhibits. Watch Here.
• June 24 @ 1pm Eastern: Stage Seminars Sound Design Webinar: The Stage Seminars Mentor Program launches its Audio Systems and Sound Design series of workshops. Learn what “sound design” is and what skills need to be taught by teachers who have kids who want to work the gear on productions. Register Here.
• June 24 @ 8pm Eastern: Wingspace Theatrical Virtual Salon #28: The Visibility Report & AAPAC: Obie Award-winning Asian American Performers Action Coalition (AAPAC) launched in 2011 as an advocacy group to give voice to and expand Asian American representation on stage. AAPAC publishes the only publicly available annual statistics report, "The Visibility Report: Racial Representation on New York Stages," which details employment statistics by race for actors, playwrights, composers, librettists, directors, and designers, as well as trace economic impact data for PWIs and theatre companies of color. When we put a lens on our industry to hold institutions accountable, how might we reimagine our community? With the release of the latest Visibility Report, join Wingspace for a deeper dive with Julienne Hanzelka Kim, Christine Toy Johnson and Wilson Chin. Moderated by Christine Mok. Register Here Looking Ahead, Register In Advance:
Looking Ahead: Register In Advance:
• June 25 @ 4pm Eastern: Broadway Stage Management Tech Friday: Roam: A revolutionary note taking program with numerous possibilities to transform the way we take notes & communicate as a team. We'll learn about Roam with R.J. Nestor: business coach, musician, and writer. He'll demo the many ways Roam can help stage managers and everyone in our theatre industry: designers, technicians, production managers, directors, etc....Register Here.
• June 26 @ 7pm Pacific: Queering The Stage-Queer Roles On Broadway: Jonathan Bailey is much in demand as a lecturer on subjects of music, art, and architecture, with a distinguished career as a conductor, composer, and teacher, and was recently appointed academic dean at the Fromm Institute for Lifelong Learning at the University of San Francisco. He was artistic director of the Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles for 13 years. For the Rossmoor Pride 2021 Gala, he has prepared an exciting new presentation, “Queering The Stage,” about which he’s revealing little. You’ll have to register to attend the event to find out what it’s all about. Free on Zoom. Register Here or here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/rossmoor-lgbt-alliance-2021-pride-sharing-our-voices-gala-registration-151416750577 ....
• June 30 @ 1pm: Panasonic: Transforming Immersive Experiences with High-Performance Solutions: Learn how today’s AV experiences can be transformed into tomorrow’s highly engaging, inspiring and memorable experiences with state-of-the-art technology. In collaboration with our industry-leading speakers, you’ll hear about our strategy for creating and delivering immersive and exciting possibilities for live productions/entertainment, our initiatives to increase productivity and collaboration for next generation learning environments and insight into the latest industry trends. Learn about the new products and solutions, which will equip you with advanced technologies and the tools needed to solve today’s challenges, improve collaboration and produce more compelling, dynamic content. Technology for transforming immersive experiences; solutions for streamlined and impactful productions; solutions for next generation learning environments. Register Here.
• July 2 @ 1pm: Rosco On Clubhouse with Zak Borovay: Chad Tiller of Rosco chats with projection designer and bass player Zak Borovay. Info here.
Webcasts & Podcasts:
• 4Wall Sunday Roundtable Episode 48: Pat MacKay Diversity Scholarships: Join judges and former recipients of the Pat MacKay Diversity In Design Scholarships. Founded in 2019, and funded by LDI and Live Design, the goal of these unique Diversity In Design scholarships is to support underrepresented and unique voices in the field of entertainment design. The scholarships are named for Pat MacKay, formerly publisher of Theatre Crafts and Lighting Dimensions magazines and founder of the LDI Trade Show and Conference. Guests: Sydney Dye - Projection Designer (Past Recipient); Nina Field - Lighting & Sound Designer (Past Recipient/Judge); Roma Flowers - Lighting & Projection Designer (Judge); Ellen Lampert-Greaux - Live Design/LDI Creative Director; Yuko Taniguchi - Lighting Designer (Past Recipient). Watch Here.
• Light Talk With The Lumen Brothers: The Gainesville Swamp Landfill Dump: The Lumen Brothers welcome back Prodigal Brother Stan from his Stanbattical! Join Stan, Steve, and David as they pontificate about: Stan's "Zero Dark 30 Vacation"; Letters to Light Talk Central; Don't screw with the Estonians; Weird Light Talk Theme Song issues; Which LED Fresnel to buy; Orchestra shell fixture considerations; Breaking the fire curtain line; Lighting outdoor daylight events; PetSweat Greenroom vending machines; The new Martin Mac Ultra fixtures; Are YOU going to LDI?; The Lumenoids tour plans; and Sin City hotels. Listen Here.
• USITT: TECHnically Speaking: A Conversation On Virtual Production with Brendon Bradley: A look at on something the industry has become quite familiar with over the past year — virtual production. We were joined by actor, writer, director, producer, and virtual production aficionado Brendan Bradley who spoke with us about his work on A One Act Festival in your Browser (WebXR) — a show produced, rehearsed, and performed entirely in web-based virtual reality, demonstrating several different modes and styles of fully-immersive, virtual performance with a customized toolkit, and user interface. Listen Here.
• GLP 10 Out Of 10: Jennifer Tipton: This week's guest on GLP's 10 Out Of 10 is award winning lighting designer Jennifer Tipton. With an amazing career across the genres of dance, opera and theatre, Jennifer is also the head of lighting design at Yale School of Drama. Watch below:
• Artistic Finance: Learn the advantages of purchasing a home in NYC as theatrical designers, with set & garden designer Donyale Werle and lighting designer Beth Turomsha who talk about their experiences buying homes in New York City, what has happened since, and what they expect to do with their homes moving forward, and discuss factors that affect home purchases, including climate change, quality of life, and inequity. Listen Here.
• USITT: TECHnically Speaking: 2021 YDMT Series: Costume Designer Erin Barnett: Recipient of the 2021 Zelma H. Weisfeld Costume Design & Technology Award, Erin is currently a third-year MFA Costume Design student at Indiana University. She has worked as a costume designer and technician with Triad Stage, Jenny Wiley Theatre, GLOW Lyric Theatre, and Utah Festival Opera and Musical Theatre. On this episode, we chatted about her award win, favorite costume pieces she's created, and her passion for the industry and craft. Listen Here.
• ETC's New Product Presentation, Keynote by Justin Townsend:
• AVO and ROBE: The creative team at Robe has been using Avolites Titan to create their shows and videos for years; Avo spoke to Robe about the brand new Timeline feature. Watch Below:
Conferences & Special Events:
• USITT21 Virtual Conference: The 2021 USITT Virtually Anywhere Conference was presented live March 8-12, 2021. The conference can now be accessed from virtually anywhere on demand. Available thru September 8, 2021. On Demand