The International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD) is seeking experts in their fields to present workshops and seminars at Enlighten 2007, the 7th Annual Education Conference. This year, the conference will be held on 11-13 October 2007 in Montreal, Quebec Canada, one of North America’s most vibrant international cities. The theme for this year is “The Passion of Light.”
For the past six years, the IALD conference, Enlighten 2007, has provided attendees with information about advances in technology as well as tools to successfully promote and run their businesses. Seminars and workshops are aimed at an experienced/advanced level, but not to the exclusion of designers entering the profession. The audience will include lighting specifiers, lighting manufacturers, and representatives, as well as architects, interior designers, educators, and students.
- Two (2) day conference
- Two (2) curriculum tracks
- 10 to 12 seminars and workshops 1.5 to 2 hours in length
- 90 minutes session timeline to present material and answer questions
Submittal and Acceptance
To be considered as a Conference Speaker, you must submit your proposal to the IALD by 27 April 2007.
Your submittal must contain the following:
- Name of topic
- 150 word description, including three (3) specific learning objectives, relevance to the topic indicated and segment of audience for which your presentation is prepared.
- Proposed time frame for the discussion
- Teaching method (interactive, lecture, workshop)
- Names, titles, mailing address, phone, fax and email of any co-presenters
- Special audiovisual equipment requests (LCD projector, slide projector, screen)
- Brief biography
- Contact names, titles, addresses, phone number and email address of two (2) associations for which you have been a speaker, preferably within the last two (2) years.
- If accepted as a speaker, you will agree to provide an electronic copy of your presentation for distribution no later than 1 August 2007 for inclusion in the conference proceedings book.
All proposals must be received by 27 April 2007. Proposals may be sent to the IALD headquarters office at: IALD ● Merchandise Mart, Suite 9-104 ● Chicago, IL 60654 USA or emailed to rené[email protected]
Each speaker will receive a $300USD honorarium, economy class travel to the conference up to a pre agreed amount and one full conference registration.
Call for Speakers
International Association of Lighting Designers
Merchandise Mart, Suite 9-104
Chicago, IL 60654 USA
+1 312/527-3680 (fax)
If you have any questions, please contact Renée Campbell at the IALD headquarters office,
312.527.3677 or via email (see above).
Enlighten 2007: The Passion of Light
7th Annual IALD Education Conference
11-13 October 2007
Montreal, Quebec Canada
Call for Speakers/Presentations
The theme of this year’s conference is The Passion of Light and the intent is to initiate and/or continue dialogue in our community that evokes and provokes emotions associated with what we do, why and how we do it. Who are lighting designers? What fuels enthusiasm for lighting design? What inspires creativity?
We are looking for speakers and seminars that will challenge traditional thought, motivate attendees to think outside the box and reinvigorate the passion. We want to hear from you.
- What does passion for light mean to you?
- What is your secret for keeping your passion for your profession alive and well?
- What are your favorite new trends in lighting? Which trends seem to have staying potential and which seem to be “seasonal fashion” and why?
- How do you balance creativity with new energy codes? What methods do you use to stay inspired on a tight budget?
- How do you add pizzazz to even the most ordinary space and remain disciplined in your approach?
- How and why did you choose your career path? What educational paths exist for a successful career in lighting design? Did they exist for you?
- What has challenged you the most over the last 10 years, 5 years, 1 year?
- Follow a project from concept to design to award winner.
- Thinking outside the box, designing with flair, unusual projects.
- If sharing your passion or light with others, what would you share?
Professional Development Track
- Does the business of doing business exhaust you? What’s your cure?
- Tools of the trade, what do you need to make your business grow?
- How do you handle employee growth, staff development and team building? How do you deal with problems in the workplace?
- What lighting design topic creates the most discussion/controversy with other members of the design team – owners, architects, interior designers, electrical engineers and contractors? What are smart ways to work with partners?
- What will make lighting designers more valuable to architects?
- How can you best utilize Small Business and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Designations to your Advantage?
- Responding to an RFP – how to write a proposal that gets results.