Broadway has announced that the Great White Way will remain shuttered until 2021, along with most regional theatre, a disappointment to many who are raring to get back to work. Which means the industry will continue to flex its muscles online and be as creative as possible to keep us trained and entertained. Make your selections from our menu for Tuesday, June 30, including a celebration of dance with Ballet Hispánico, and plan the rest of a busy week on the interwebs.
Training & Webcasts:
• Tuesday, June 30 @ 12pm Eastern: d&b audiotechnik Facebook Live @8thdaysound and Rock Band, Tool’s Audio Team. d&b advanced system specialist Nick Malgieri will be joined by Beau Alexander—account manager & monitor engineer, Alan “Nobby” Hopkinson— FoH engineer, Liam Halpin—system engineer, Jerod Untiedt—monitor tech, Sam Balk—PA/stage tech, Greg Bierley—PA tech, and Henry Sendek—PA Tech. the panel discusses their experiences on the road with the SL-Series. Watch Here.
• Tuesday, June 30 @ 12pm Central: Harman Professional Training: Installed Line Array Solutions for Sporting Facilities. Featuring Rick Kamlet, who has managed numerous JBL Professional loudspeaker product lines over the last 30 years,This webinar will explore how to use JBL VLA Compact and VLA-i loudspeakers to achieve optimal audio coverage, musical clarity, high intelligibility and levels capable of overcoming crowd noise in stadiums and arenas. Presenters: Rick Kamlet, Jim Burdette, Brad Ricks. Register Here.
• Tuesday, June 30 @ 1pm Eastern: Panasonic, Innovations in AV Technology: Learn about a strategy for delivering immersive and exciting experiences for live entertainment as well as initiatives to increase productivity and collaboration in education and corporate environments. Find out the new products and solutions coming out that will equip you with advanced technologies to solve challenges, improve collaboration, and produce more compelling, dynamic content. Register Here.
• Tuesday, June 30 @ 4pm Eastern: Ahead Of The Curve: Immersive Art: engaging the human senses in ways a simple painting cannot: Geoff Platt interviews Holly Danger, an experiential artist who does a lot of music mixed with visual media and a lot of VJ work out of California. Music + creative digital art + emotion = a key for success. We are all human, we want to explore, build and experience new frontiers. The new frontier is now, come and join us as we explore possibilities of creating experiences that will get you up and moving, right inside your home. Watch Here.
• Friday, July 10 @ 3pm Eastern: Live Design & USITT: Diversity And Anti-Racism In Entertainment Design. Moderated by David Stewart, USITT Board member and production manager for Disney Parks Live Entertainment, with lighting designer Xavier Pierce, lighting/projection designer Roma Flowers, and other voices. Register Here.
Looking Ahead, Register In Advance:
• July 2 @ 11am Eastern: Using Augment3d Session 4: XYZ Palettes, Staging Mode, and Scenic Object Channels, an event for ETC Eos Family Console Programmers. Hosted by Nick Gonsman. Dive into some of the features of Augment3d that could change the way you think about programming. First, Rob Crane will show us how to implement XYZ focus palettes when programming shows with moving lights. We’ll also explore the brand new Staging Mode—this is a versatile new feature in Eos 3.0 that will help users, whether or not you have moving lights in your rig. Lastly, scenic object channels combine the existing tools for programming channels with the need to have different scenery in our model at different times. Register Here. (If you are asked for a password to join, enter: eosfamily).
• July 2 @ 10am Central: Martin Learning Sessions: Basic Introduction to Martin P3 with Wouter Verlinden: In this high-level introduction to the Martin P3 ecosystem, attendees will learn the basics of what the system can achieve and receive a demonstration of some of the new features and workflows coming in version 5.2.0. Register Here.
• July 2 [email protected] Eastern: d&b audiotechnik Goes Live on Instagram with Tony Award-Winning Sound Designer Jessica Paz: d&b will be chatting with sound designer Jessica Paz, the first woman to win a Tony Award for Sound Design. Jessica will talk about the Delacorte Theater’s free summer sessions in Central Park, NYC, and how they used the d&b V-Series, and E-Series with standard Weather Resistance to deliver exceptional sound to the audience. Watch Here.
Something To Apply For:
• Walt Disney Television Creative Talent Development & Inclusion - CTDI: Writers Apply now! The 2021 Walt Disney Television Writing Program application is live. The deadline is Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. PST. This year's application process has changed, so be sure to carefully read all application materials, Online Application.
For Your Viewing Enjoyment:
• June 30 @ 7.30pm Eastern: Ballet Hispánico: Noche Unidos, A Night Of Dance And Unity: Celebrate 50 years of dance with a special online event hosted by Eduardo Vilaro. Premieres by Kiri Avelar, Carlos Pons Guerra, Rodney Hamilton, Michelle Manzanales, Andrea Miller, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Pedro Ruiz, Gustavo Ramierez Sansano, Nancy Turano, and Eduardo Vilaro. Appearances include Lin-Manuel Miranda, Gloria Estefan, Rita Moreno, Norman Lear, Paquito D’Rivera, and Arturo O'Farrill. RSVP Here.
• Metropolitan Opera Nightly Streams: Week16. Watch Here.
• 4Wall Entertainment Friday Roundtable, hosted by Drew Quinines and Jeff Croiter, with lighting director Zak Al-Alami, lighting designer/programmer Sean Beach, lighting/production designer Cory FitzGerald, lighting designer/programmer Kelly Shih. Watch Here.
• Designing My Fair Lady: Listen to set designer Michael Yeargan, costume designer Catherine Zuber, sound designer Marc Salzberg, and lighting designer Don Holder, talk about designing My Fair Lady for Lincoln Center Theatre. Watch Here.
• frame.work videos are now online, a conference for video professionals. Watch Here.
• Unreal Interactive Demo. Watch Here.
• TDF Stages, list of streaming performances updated daily.
• Scott Parker: A lot of training videos to choose from. Watch Here.
• Get A Grip On Lighting Podcast: Leadership Under Covid: Kevin Poyck just had his legs under him as CEO and president of Signify’s Americas Market Group when the outbreak threw his business into chaos. He shares his thoughts on virtual offices, managing at a distance, and the shape of post-pandemic normalcy. What really brought him to our show today was a recent study at Boston University that confirmed how effective a new Signify UVC lamp really is, which leads to a vintage Philips UV disinfection manual and the modern rush for germicidal lamps. It’s time for us all to turn a page as we proceed out of our current crisis. Listen Here.
• Theatrewolf Podcast: Episode 05: David Kane. Meet David Kane, a freelance lighting director and programmer specializing in live performance television and high end commercials. Member IATSE Local 728; ETC Level 3 EOS console trainer We talk about the life of the film set and what defines you. Do you let people put a box around you and call you just a programmer? We also dive into is it the console that makes the job or the person behind it? Listen Here
• Artistic Finance: An interview with Broadway scenic designer Wilson Chin on how he sustains his career financially, and his journey from Redwood City, California to becoming a scenic designer on Broadway. Listen Here or Here.
• Technically Speaking, USITT Podcast: Featuring 2020 Barbizon Lighting Company Jonathan Resnick Lighting Award winner, Jasmine Lesane, a lighting designer & director dedicated to realizing visions through innovative design solutions, and a recent grad of Carnegie Mellon's School of Drama. Listen Here.
• Light Talk With The Lumen Brothers: A podcast and a place where lighting designers can feel free to express what really annoys them about the industry, lighting education, and the art of stage lighting design. Listen Here.
• LD At Large With Chris Lose: Recent episodes include Michael Berger, Seth Robinson, and Rob Koenig. Listen Here.
• The Evolution of Special Effects With John Canning of Digital Domain: Tyler Gates and Sophia Moshasha catch up with John Canning, executive producer at Digital Domain, to talk about how animation and special effects in media production have evolved to become higher quality, less costly, and easier to achieve with immersive technology. Listen Here.