Sadly COVID-19 continues to keep our industry pretty much sidelined but a lot of people have turned to online solutions, so keep your eye on the screen, be it your laptop, tablet, or smart phone. Lots of cool stuff at your fingertips including a look at Dance Theatre of Harlem at the Guggenheim, in pieces that feature lighting by Roma Flowers and Clifton Taylor to cap off a day of webcasts, podcasts, and more on Thursday, July 16, 2020 and some advance listings.
Training and Webcasts:
• July 16 @ 10am Central: ETC: Using Augment3d Session 5: The Bridge To Reality. Our model is built, and the fixtures are hung. Now we can use Augment3d as a bridge to connect our console and our real space. Fixture Position Estimation (FPE) will auto-calculate the location and orientation of our moving lights in space, and Focus Wand is a powerful new tool in the Eos mobile app that allows for super-fast control of moving lights using your smart phone. Finally, we will look at how we can use magic sheets to assist with the creation of our A3D model and vice versa. Register Here.
• July 16 @ 9am Pacific: Pyrotecnico Famous Blast Words #8. With tour manager Clancy Silver and photographer Danilo Lewis for “Tales from the Road: The Chainsmokers.” Watch Here.
• July 16: USITT Costume Design & Technology Summit: Costumes in the Time of COVID: A Series of Conversations About Costume Education: Day t three of this online conference. Free to USITT members/$20 per day non-members. More info here. Register Here
• July 16 @ 11am Central: Martin Professional Learning Sessions: The Quality Of Light: A good understanding of lighting quality measurements such as color rendering, color spectrum and color temperature is important when choosing a lighting fixture. Learn the pros and cons of various metrics and how to properly evaluate products. Presented by Brad Schiller, Harman lighting expert. Register Here.
• July 16 @ 12pm Central: ETC Study Hall: Fixture Selection And Why It's Important (HOG). Register Here.
• July 16 @ 11am Eastern: Coronet x Tech: Power over Ethernet - PoE: A primer on this emerging technology. PoE is a hot topic in our industry, and now your client is thinking about using it on their next project. You might be wondering what PoE is all about or looking to expand your current knowledge. Join Coronet for an overview of PoE systems and hear all about our extensive offering. Register Here.
• July 16 @ 4pm Eastern: 4Wall Entertainment Tales From The Road: This episode of the Thursday Discussions features SJ Lighting president Steve Lieberman & Brass City Productions Inc. production & stage manager Larry Barcello. Watch Here.
An Important Conversation:
• Live Design and USITT co-hosted "A Conversation On Diversity And Anti-Racism In Entertainment Design," on Friday, July 10, 2020. Moderated by David Stewart, production manager for Disney Parks Live Entertainment, and an important voice in the ongoing quest to increase diversity in our industry, the full panel for this important discussion includes lighting designers Rachael Blackwell, Porsche McGovern, and Xavier Pierce, lighting/projection designer Roma Flowers, lighting designer/event coordinator Ebony Madry, and production manager Lawrence Bennett. Watch Below.
Looking Ahead, Register In Advance:
• July 17 @ 7:30pm Eastern: Broadway Stage Management Symposium’s SM Tech Friday, in collaboration with The Stage Managers’ Association and the Year of the Stage Manager 2020/21 present a discussion about stage managers’ thoughts, ideas, and concerns regarding theatre in this COVID-19 era. Stage managers are involved in every department and have an important and unique perspective to share. Featuring: Robert Mills, stage manager, The Phantom of the Opera in Seoul, Korea, Ira Mont, PSM of Jagged Little Pill, Ross Jackson, stage manager at The Geffen Theatre in LA, Danielle Hernandez with the Event Safety Alliance, Rashaan James II, Broadway & tour actor, Wendy Blackburn Eastland, stage manager, Hamilton tour. Moderated by Amanda Spooner, SMA Vice Chair & YSM founder & Matthew Stern, SMA Director at Large & BSMS founder. Register Here.
• July 20 @ 9am-12pm Eastern: Strand NEO Console Training. All the basics of operating the NEO Console, geared towards new users who need to light theatre, music events, dance, meetings, assemblies, church services, TV studios and more. Register Here.
• July 20 @ 7pm Eastern: OSHA In Your Theatre, Part 2, Continuing the conversation… In Part 1 of the conversation, Joe Aldridge and Eddie Raymond, both OSHA Authorized Trainers & ANSI experts, took you through the OSHA codes and ANSI standards that apply to you and your space and let you know where you can locate this information for future needs. If you missed Part l and would like to view it before joining Part 2, you can find it here: OSHA in Your Theatre? Part l During Part 2, Joe Aldridge & Eddie Raymond, both OSHA Authorized Trainers & ANSI experts, will cover the following topics and include live Q&A: Respiratory Protection, SDS/HAZ Comm, Hearing Protection, Emergency Action Plans, Safety Meetings. Register Here.
Special Events On The Horizon:
• July 20-25: ALD Academy. A.LD Boot Camp: Learn To Be An Assistant Lighting Designer: A week-long workshop on zoom with a great roster of lighting designers and speakers Hosted by Tim Deiling and Rob Casey. Details Here.
• Themed Entertainment Creative Workshop Series: Sponsored by The Bezark Company. This is an unprecedented, multi-disciplinary, accelerated workshop series developed and led by some of the best minds in Themed Entertainment. Details Here.
For Your Viewing Enjoyment:
• DTH On Demand Presents: Works & Process at the Guggenheim – Dance Theatre of Harlem at 50: Founded in 1969, Dance Theatre of Harlem made its official New York debut in 1971 in the Guggenheim Rotunda. Their Virtual Ballet Series continues with the online premiere of DTH’s 2019 performance at the Guggenheim Museum for the Works & Process Rotunda Project: Dance Theatre of Harlem at 50, a program celebrating the Guggenheim building’s 60th anniversary and DTH’s 50th anniversary. Nyman String Quartet No 2, lighting by Roma Flowers; The Four Temperaments, lighting adapted by William E. Cotton; Tones II, lighting by Clifton Taylor. Watch Here.
• Ross Video: Ross Live | 2020: A weekly series of presentations, podcasts,s and product launches designed to highlight best practices across a range of live production environments. Watch Here.
• MA Lighting grandMA3 onPC command wing XT: A new member of its grandMA3 onPC solutions range: the grandMA3 onPC command wing XT. With the grandMA3 onPC software pre-installed on a built-in MA motherboard, the grandMA3 onPC command wing XT offers MA3 power with onPC flexibility– just add up to four touchscreen monitors, and it's ready to go! Watch Here.
• Special Events Services: The Gray Room Sessions: Rig includes Elation DTW Bar 1000 variable white LED battens, Elation Cuepix Blinder WW2 lights with warm white 3,200K COB LED, and ADJ Z100 3K LED PAR. Watch Here.
• GLP 10 Out Of 10 With Jason Baeri: This episode of GLP's 10 Out Of 10 features lighting designer Jason Baeri! Jason has worked with some incredible artists throughout his career as lighting designer, assoc. LD, and lighting programmer; including The Weeknd, Rammstein, Nine Inch Nails, Lady GaGa, Kelly Clarkson and more. Watch Here.
• Elation Virtual At Home Demos: Overview of the key features and unique benefits of some of Elation’s newest lighting products, a demonstration that gives lighting pros an opportunity to assess if a luminaire is right for their needs. Products showcased include the Fuze Spot™, Fuze Pendant™, Fuze Profile™, Fuze SFX™, Smarty Max™, Artiste Van Gogh™, Artiste Monet™, Dartz 360™, CW Profile HP™ and WW Profile HP™ ellipsoidals, along with the Magma Prime™ hazer from Magmatic atmospheric effects. Watch Here.
• Strand Lighting: Theatre Systems Design Basics. Presented by Bobby Harrell. Watch Here.
• frame.work videos are now online, a conference for video professionals. Watch Here.
• 4Wall Entertainment: Archives for Sunday Roundtables and Thursday Tales From The Road. Watch Here.
• ETC Story Q&A with Tom Littrell: thoughts from Outreach and Training Specialist Tom Littrell on LEDs. Read Here.
• Unreal Interactive Demo. Watch Here.
• TDF Stages, list of streaming performances updated daily.
• Scott Parker: A lot of training videos to choose from. Watch Here.
• In 1 Podcast: Changing the Landscape – Episode 1: It’s Not That We Don’t Exist: Cory Pattak's podcast is about to hit 100 episodes, but before that milestone, he is pleased to present a brand new mini-series entitled ‘Changing the Landscape: Examining Race in Theatrical Design.’ Guest hosted by lighting designer Alan Edwards, this multi-part series will ask the questions where are the theatrical designers of color in history? Why has the roster appeared to grow only recently? What are the challenges of going from grade school to professional? And is there anything that can be done? In this first episode, ‘It’s Not That We Don’t Exist’, Alan sits down with Cory to discuss the impetus of the mini-series and then talks with lighting designer Kathy Perkins who tells us about her path from Mobile, Alabama to the world of professional design, why she decided to document and write about Black theatre-makers, how she thinks schools can do better at recruiting and seeking out young Black students, and whether she believes there is a shortage of Black designers or just a perception problem. She is a great and knowledgable voice to kick off the series and we hope you’ll join us over the coming weeks as Alan speaks with educators and designers such as Toni-Leslie James, Steve Jones, Luqman Brown and more. (photo lighting designer Alan Edwards). Listen Here.
• Get A Grip On Lighting Podcast: Leadership Under Covid: Kevin Poyck just had his legs under him as CEO and president of Signify’s Americas Market Group when the outbreak threw his business into chaos. He shares his thoughts on virtual offices, managing at a distance, and the shape of post-pandemic normalcy. What really brought him to our show today was a recent study at Boston University that confirmed how effective a new Signify UVC lamp really is, which leads to a vintage Philips UV disinfection manual and the modern rush for germicidal lamps. It’s time for us all to turn a page as we proceed out of our current crisis. Listen Here.
• Technically Speaking, USITT Podcast: Featuring 2020 Barbizon Lighting Company Jonathan Resnick Lighting Award winner, Jasmine Lesane, a lighting designer & director dedicated to realizing visions through innovative design solutions, and a recent grad of Carnegie Mellon's School of Drama. Listen Here.
• Light Talk With The Lumen Brothers: A podcast and a place where lighting designers can feel free to express what really annoys them about the industry, lighting education, and the art of stage lighting design. Listen Here.
• LD At Large With Chris Lose: Recent episodes include Michael Berger, Seth Robinson, and Rob Koenig. Listen Here.
• The Evolution of Special Effects With John Canning of Digital Domain: Tyler Gates and Sophia Moshasha catch up with John Canning, executive producer at Digital Domain, to talk about how animation and special effects in media production have evolved to become higher quality, less costly, and easier to achieve with immersive technology. Listen Here.