Don't miss "A Conversation About Diversity And Anti-Racism In Entertainment Design," presented by Live Design and USITT. Moderated by David Stewart with an excellent panel of diverse voices, this is the main event for Friday, July 10, and should be a thought-provoking discussion to propel you through a hot summer weekend and into next week.
• Friday, July 10 @ 3pm Eastern: Live Design & USITT present A Conversation On Diversity And Anti-Racism In Entertainment Design. Moderated by David Stewart, USITT Board member and production manager for Disney Parks Live Entertainment, with lighting designer Xavier Pierce, lighting/projection designer Roma Flowers, lighting designer Porsche McGovern, lighting designer/event coordinator Ebony Madry, lighting designer Rachael Blackwell, and production manager Lawrence Bennett. Register Here.
• July 10 @ 9am Central: ETC Study Hall: Making The Light Fantastic, Part 5. A look at design approaches when lighting stages and spaces that are not proscenium arch or end-on theatres, including thrust stages, traverse stages, theatre-in-the-round and site-specific spaces. Login Here
• July 10 @ 1pm Central: Harman Professional Learning Sessions: Audio Engineering: Setting up a Vocal Template for Recording Session with Tiffany "Delilah" Miranda: Using Pro Tools | First, participants will learn the basics of setting up a vocal session template and recalling effects chains, as well as various tips and tricks. Participants can follow along by downloading Pro Tools First for free. Register Here.
• July 12 @ 7pm Eastern: 4Wall Sunday Roundtable: Featuring a group of professionals who work in different facets of the live entertainment industry, bringing a variety of perspectives to the discussions. This week's guests are lighting designers Vada Briceño, Alan Edwards, Jason Marin, and Cory Pattak. Hosted by Jeff Croiter and Drew Quinones, Watch Here.
Looking Ahead, Register In Advance:
• July 13 @ 5:30-8pm Eastern: NYC Vectorworks Entertainment User Group: Creating Scene Design Drawing: Stephen Jones discusses his process of creating a 3D scenic model for artistic collaboration using Vectorworks. He will also discuss how he uses the same model to create technical drawings for production shops. Register Here.
For Your Viewing Enjoyment:
• June 10 @ 8pm Eastern: Broadway Cares: Bernaette Peters: A Special Concert. Three-time Tony-winner Bernadette Peters in a special concert originally recorded in 2009 to help raise money for HIV/AIDS, COVID-19 and other critical illnesses receive lifesaving meals, medication, and health care. Watch Here.
• July 10: Broadway Fridays: Live From Lincoln Center: Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel. Sets by Allen Moyer; lighting by Ken Billington; sound by Peter Fitzgerald; costumes by David C. Woolard; lighting director Ed McCarthy. Starring Kelli O'Hara and Nathan Gunn. Filmed in 2013. Remains online for free streaming. Watch Here.
Carousel trailer (2013)
• Limón Dance Company: Virtual Festival: In celebration of the company's 75th anniversary, watch four memorable works: José Limón’s Chaconne, The Moor’s Pavane, Suite from A Choreographic Offering, and former artistic director Colin Connor’s Corvidae, inspired by the mystery and symbolism of crows. Intro by Norton Owen of Jacob' Pillow. 7pm Eastern. Thru July 14. Watch Here.
• New York City Ballet: A Tribute To Balanchine (1983): Three Balanchine masterpieces: Vienna Waltzes (1977) with costumes by Karinska, set by Rouben Ter-Arutunian, and lighting by Ronald Bates (original production); Mark Stanley (current production); Mozartiana (1981) with costumes by Rouben Ter-Arutunian, lighting by Ronald Bates (original production); Mark Stanley (current production); and Who Cares? (1970) with costumes by Karinska (original production), Santo Loquasto (current production), set by Jo Mielziner, and lighting by Ronald Bates (original production); Mark Stanley (current production). Thru July 14. Watch Here.
Special Events On The Horizon:
• July 14-16: USITT Costume Design & Technology Summit: Costumes in the Time of COVID: A Series of Conversations About Costume Education: A three-day conference. Free to USITT members/$20per day non-members (use code 3DAYCDT to get third day free). More info here. Register Here.
• July 20-25: ALD Academy. A.LD Boot Camp: Learn To Be An Assistant Lighting Designer: A week-long workshop on zoom with a great roster of lighting designers and speakers Hosted by Tim Deiling and Rob Casey. Details Here.
• Themed Entertainment Creative Workshop Series: Sponsored by The Bezark Company. This is an unprecedented, multi-disciplinary, accelerated workshop series developed and led by some of the best minds in Themed Entertainment. Details Here.
• Special Events Services: The Gray Room Sessions: Rig includes Elation DTW Bar 1000 variable white LED battens, Elation Cuepix Blinder WW2 lights with warm white 3,200K COB LED, and ADJ Z100 3K LED PAR. Watch Here.
• GLP 10 Out Of 10 With Jason Baeri: This episode of GLP's 10 Out Of 10 features lighting designer Jason Baeri! Jason has worked with some incredible artists throughout his career as lighting designer, assoc. LD, and lighting programmer; including The Weeknd, Rammstein, Nine Inch Nails, Lady GaGa, Kelly Clarkson and more. Watch Here.
• Elation Virtual At Home Demos: Overview of the key features and unique benefits of some of Elation’s newest lighting products, a demonstration that gives lighting pros an opportunity to assess if a luminaire is right for their needs. Products showcased include the Fuze Spot™, Fuze Pendant™, Fuze Profile™, Fuze SFX™, Smarty Max™, Artiste Van Gogh™, Artiste Monet™, Dartz 360™, CW Profile HP™ and WW Profile HP™ ellipsoidals, along with the Magma Prime™ hazer from Magmatic atmospheric effects. Watch Here.
• Strand Lighting: Theatre Systems Design Basics. Presented by Bobby Harrell. Watch Here.
• frame.work videos are now online, a conference for video professionals. Watch Here.
• ETC Story Q&A with Tom Littrell: thoughts from Outreach and Training Specialist Tom Littrell on LEDs. Read Here.
• Unreal Interactive Demo. Watch Here.
• TDF Stages, list of streaming performances updated daily.
• Scott Parker: A lot of training videos to choose from. Watch Here.
• Get A Grip On Lighting Podcast: Leadership Under Covid: Kevin Poyck just had his legs under him as CEO and president of Signify’s Americas Market Group when the outbreak threw his business into chaos. He shares his thoughts on virtual offices, managing at a distance, and the shape of post-pandemic normalcy. What really brought him to our show today was a recent study at Boston University that confirmed how effective a new Signify UVC lamp really is, which leads to a vintage Philips UV disinfection manual and the modern rush for germicidal lamps. It’s time for us all to turn a page as we proceed out of our current crisis. Listen Here.
• Technically Speaking, USITT Podcast: Featuring 2020 Barbizon Lighting Company Jonathan Resnick Lighting Award winner, Jasmine Lesane, a lighting designer & director dedicated to realizing visions through innovative design solutions, and a recent grad of Carnegie Mellon's School of Drama. Listen Here.
• Light Talk With The Lumen Brothers: A podcast and a place where lighting designers can feel free to express what really annoys them about the industry, lighting education, and the art of stage lighting design. Listen Here.
• LD At Large With Chris Lose: Recent episodes include Michael Berger, Seth Robinson, and Rob Koenig. Listen Here.
• The Evolution of Special Effects With John Canning of Digital Domain: Tyler Gates and Sophia Moshasha catch up with John Canning, executive producer at Digital Domain, to talk about how animation and special effects in media production have evolved to become higher quality, less costly, and easier to achieve with immersive technology. Listen Here.