The Dome of Apollo

A West End Theatre Gets a Colorful New Look

London's Apollo Victoria Theatre has had a checkered career. It opened in 1930, under the name New Victoria Cinema; as one of that era's fabled movie palaces, its adornments included a mighty Wurlitzer organ and a balcony that could seat 2,500. Comparisons to New York's Radio City Music Hall would not have been out of order.

After 40 years of service as a cinema, the New Victoria was converted into a legitimate theatre, named the

Register to view the full article

Already a member? .

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish